Friday, February 04, 2005

Poor Judgment?

SquirrleyMojo reminded me in her last comment that it pisses me off that I gotta be secretive about who I am. There are two people I know in "real life" that I have revealed my blog to. Hopefully it won't spread. I know this can seem like some kind of crazed egomaniacal paranoia, and, well, it probably is--but I plan to divulge more of the nasty things that have happened to me while in grad school and I live in a very gossipy place, so I'm gonna fight to keep that anonymity. Actually, the only thing that bothers me about it is that I can't be specific about ..uh...stuff.
So here goes another post filled with vague references. I just got offered this "gig" doing a version of what I *really want to do*...great resume builder though not the least bit interesting in itself, very good practice for my career-to-be. But it's incredibly time-consuming. Full-time work is what the people who offered this to me calculated (40 hours a week), but I know it will take me quite a bit longer because I've never done this before. Do I have the time? No, not really, considering that I stupidly got involved in this other, in this case non-paying, activity in what I'll just call "student leadership" which has been taking up about 10 hours a week, I TA, and my advisor wants 25 new pages by next week on my diss.
No, no...don't try to talk me out of it. I already said yes and am on my way now to the "facility" to start the work.
I'm a little scared...but the good thing is I've only got two weeks to hand over the finished product. So the next two weeks are going to be hell and then I'll say no when they ask me to do it again.

4 Comments:

Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

So we _could_ be at the same U???

Facinating.


Don't tell anyone else--no one. JFW's blog got posted on a frick'en listserv! And he divulged EVERYTHING. It was awful--awful!

And who says I'm a "she"?

7:08 PM  
Blogger Porkorama said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Porkorama said...

Oh, yeah...who's JFW?

1:59 AM  
Blogger Porkorama said...

Oops....I accidentally deleted this comment from above:

Well, I could say it was your "I'm Wearing Jeans Now" post that *most* made me think that you're a she. But I could also say I didn't want to call you an "it" and why the hell should I revert to the standard "he" or even "he/she," "s/he" shit? Usually the default gender in "this society" is male, but I noticed when I was trying to find out my body fat percentage at Costco (yikes, I just revealed waaaaaay more than is prudent) on this stupid scale that you had to input all this info into like height and weight, that the default was female. So yeah, the ever-sticky web of gendered assumptions.
Someone that commented on here assumed I was a woman and it surprised me. It was before my admission of crying before meeting with a professor, so I wasn't sure what stereotype they were basing the assumption on. I wonder if I posted answers to one of those ever popular internet personality surveys what the assumption would be then. Hmm....must look for a good one. Or better yet, write one myself. Oh, no, wait...have to work on the poor judgment project.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home