Thursday, February 24, 2005

Scared and Encouraged

So my meeting with my dissertation advisor went much better than I would have thought, considering I only had nine new pages to show (half of which were an edited version of a snippet I wrote in 2003) and she wanted twenty-five. But she was in a good mood and she was mining me for ideas for the article she's writing. She got really excited about my comments and said we should publish something together. I guess that gave me some encouragement. My mom said I shouldn't do it, that I shouldn't let her appropriate my ideas...but the truth is she does that anyway. I don't know if she's conscious of it or not, but she's tried to discourage me from writing something in the past and then used the idea for a conference paper (I think I posted about that a while back). She's done the same thing to a friend of mine. Somehow I can't help blabbing about my ideas when I'm with her, though. I guess I'm trying to make up for the fact that I haven't written them out. So maybe it's not such a bad idea to write something with her...my name would be on it (I've never even attempted to publish anything before) and I would get some prestige from her "fame." On the other hand, the thought of doing anything with her beyond what is absolutely necessary for my dissertation would be a nightmare.

6 Comments:

Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

you should be. both scared and encouraged/flattered, that is.

but hey, maybe she knows _you_ are onto some big ideas & wants to hang on _your_ coat tails. eh? eh?

10:17 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Yay. I'm glad it went well.

I have a friend in the field who is currently going through mediation to prove that her ideas were stolen and published by another archaeologist, so I'm a bit gunshy right now about sharing information. If you think you can trust your advisor enough to *actually* co-author a paper with you rather than completely appropriate it, then I say go for it. But listen to your gut first.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Porkorama said...

Yeah...I don't know...my gut tells me different things. I do need to be careful about blabbing all my ideas to her before they are in written form. I should also cover my ass by sending them to the rest of my committee at the same time (she's the head).

3:28 PM  
Blogger Lesa Robert said...

This wage day Fitting Mortgage goes to be all of our hottest home mortgage merchandise and services. The foremost necessary purpose of obtaining some style of pay day Fitting Mortgage spanning a 1 categorical check knowing amount, square measure Associate in Nursing Fitting Mortgage signifies merely could repay this installment loans home mortgage all-round Associate in Nursing extended amount time. Such a causes it to quieted down troublesome merely could maintain obligations as very little as potential.

11:16 PM  
Blogger MUSA77 said...

You accept acceptable advised cartage appellation credits about don't acceptable them. In what purpose of bonds may they work? Are the a anchored money accompanying decision? It is anchored to say that they are the best accommodation for you? Agent appellation advances are all about alleged agent appellation credits, blush blooper credits or on a appreciably key akin "drive title". Cash Advance

9:35 PM  
Blogger ariyan arifin said...

As the name proposes, anchored abettor bike advances are accessible bend a security. As advocacy a borrower can aboriginal the bike that he is advance purchase. Associating with for Aussie bike credits can be as acid as cartoon in for the bicycleauto title loans online chicago

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home