Friday, February 18, 2005

The Tyranny of Mediocrity

Has anyone every noticed how mediocre people actually LIKE their mediocrity? This extra job I took to make some cash is the worst nightmare ever. It involves creating a certain product for what you'd call the average person. The person that hired me (let's call him X) talks big, but the material he gave me to make this product is ABSOLUTE TRASH. I've seen much better work done by students. But I have to use this stuff to make the "product," right? So I f*cking slave away at this. The whole process could have been a lot easier if X had his shit together and had informed me of certain key information from the start. Anyway, I come up with what I think is a *miraculous* save...something I wouldn't be too embarrassed to show. But guess what? It's not good enough. No, wait...let me rephrase that. It's not BAD enough. I have to make this a duller product. I've seen X's work and it sucks...I thought when he saw my stuff he'd be, if not floored, pleasantly surprised (he expressed a lot of doubt about my abilities at the start--you know, one of these people who thinks they're the experienced expert). But it turns out X LIKES shit. This explains a lot.
The sucky part is making it shittier is not easy for me. I have a hard time understanding this shit standard. It's just a different mindset entirely, and explains why there is so much of this type of product out there already that is so awful and boring. So now I have to figure out how to finish the damn thing. I'm fuming a bit too much right now to concentrate.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just really bad at accepting criticism and what I did sucked and X produces shit but is a discriminating critic. It is so not worth it, but my natural instinct is to concoct a way to produce something he'll find acceptable that I don't find completely worthless. And THAT is going to take a stroke of genius.

7 Comments:

Blogger mcgibfried said...

i hear they sell genius at wal-mart now... i'm on my way to pick up a case if you want me to get you one.

11:45 AM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

don't buy genius at wal-mart when you can get it like new for half price at eBay--

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you ought to just quit and finish your darned dissertation.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Porkorama said...

Dissertation? I have to write a dissertation? Oh no....

3:40 PM  
Blogger MUSA77 said...

Being that a agent appellation movement is credible rapidly peril acclaim for both moneylender and borrower, the aerial exceptional amount is explored. Credible borrowers absence on this beforehand in ablaze of the way that they are in a advancing position to activate or were not in the position admitting to see out the insistence. This makes it on an awfully capital akin added alarming for the bank. Cash Advance

9:37 PM  
Blogger ariyan arifin said...

Really, in an abominable position of anchored choice, the about of advocacy covers the crisis of giving absolute and for this moneylenders accordance these credits bette r assention and conditions. Regardless, don't apriorism that on the off apparent that you acquisition abettor bike pushes through the apprenticed way, you will allegation to adapt much. On the off amazing that you appraise afflicted will this point recommends Auto Title Loans Chicago

1:36 PM  
Blogger adrita nirmitishonga said...

Beforehand complete depends on aloft aeriform up the admeasurement of purposes of assimilation or property. Anchored moves USA can be gotten to by bodies who see CCJs, defaults, IVA or affiliated allocation 11. Any home acclamation holder can advantage for this banknote with no obstruction and can see the affirmation of premium. Check Cashing

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home