Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Where has she been!?

Sorry to have abandoned this blog, and the lovely Ms. Porkorama. I've been working, and not working. Here's my excuse.

So I went back to Boston for the Big Important Archaeology Conference and gave a paper about a fake work of art. I was insanely nervous about the paper and that wasn't quelled by the fact that there were more than 300 people in the audience, including my evil undergraduate advisor and Mr. Important Greek Sculpture Man from Berkeley. But the paper went extremely well and I got very good comments from the audience. A number of Important (do you see a pattern here?) Scholars suggested that I publish the paper in the Important American Archaeology Journal.

So I came back "home" to CA (Boston feels more home-like than ever) with a fire in my pants to start work on this article. My health had another idea. For more than two weeks, I was laid up with a really bad cold/flu thing. I'm only now just recovering. I think I've also been suffering from S.A.D. because of the gross grey and rainy weather here in CA. I've been exhausted, bored, and depressed.

But I managed to pull myself to the computer and churn out an article version of my paper. It's now in the hands of my (nice PhD) advisor, who will submit it to the Archaeology Journal, for he was the editor there for 20-something years and knows whose buttons to push. I would be thrilled to have it published and it would be a great thing to have on the CV for next year's job applications. I only have one measly publication right now, plus two published translations (Italian > English), which I don't think amount to very much.

About a week before the semester started here, I got a frantic email from the department secretary (or whatever she's called) asking me to send her my revised syllabus for this semester ASAP! Umm, huh? No one had told me I would be teaching this semester. Fortunately, it's a course I've taught before and I just had to tweak the syllabus a bit to get it ready. It's just the Intro. to Art History course, so it's not too taxing. Nevertheless, it is something that cuts into my dissertation time. If you'd like to follow along with the course, email me and I can send you the link to the class website.

The dissertation was on hold for all of January because of the conference and the nasty sickness and SAD. Last week I got started again on my last chapter. I wrote eleven pages in two days. I'm pretty pleased. Those few pages also put me over the 300-page mark for my dissertation. Too bad it won't be evaluated in terms of gross weight or the number of trees felled!

This last chapter so far is a snore. All description and little analysis. The description (of wall paintings) is very tedious because there are all these teeny, tiny details to discuss. Most of which I think are totally meaningless in the overall interpretation of the house I'm studying.

So enough of this blogging procrastination. Can I squeeze out 8 pages today? Or at least work for four solid hours?

8 Comments:

Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

woo-woo for you! that's (all that you've blogged and much much more) really great--

why do I get the creepy feeling that if you and I worked at the same U, you would "frown" at me . . . ?

and why am I hinestly pleased for you while at the same time a wee bit jealous & catty?

10:54 AM  
Blogger Francesca said...

Umm...I have no idea if I would "frown" at you. Should I?

Jealousy and cattiness are par for the course among graduate students. Didn't you get the informational packet? It came with the pre-warning of serious debt and a prescription for anti-depressants! ;)

7:01 PM  
Blogger Porkorama said...

In case you haven't gathered this already, I'm the "bad" graduate student and Francesca is the "good" one (even though she would deny it). I guess it's all relative.

7:18 PM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

frown away--I bask in thy frowning.


is this like good cop/bad cop?

10:18 PM  
Blogger Porkorama said...

Well, see...I envisioned this blog as a whole bunch of disconsolate ABD students spilling out their woes. Maybe they don't *really* exist, cause so far it's just me and Frenchie. And I seem to do most of the complaining.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

If you want me to complain, just ask!

I don't think I'm all that "good." I'm an enormous procrastinator and I stay awake at night berating myself for all the time I've squandered in the past three years since I moved on to ABD status.

3:50 PM  
Blogger MUSA77 said...

Right aback the movement is repaid the keys and the appellation will be offered aback to the borrower in like way the affirmation actuality released. If the borrower defaults on the acclaim parcel, the auto will be reprocessed. Cash Advance

9:36 PM  
Blogger ariyan arifin said...

In any case, you don't see no-detainment money for that. So what else? Do whatever it takes not to accumulate your fantasy on hold. You can annual an abettor bike up to this adventitious to acrimonious up your accepting bicycle. Moreover, on the off ad-lib that you are chain with for a abutting arrangement, appeal on anchored abettor bike credits, with which you can ashamed a bike axial of you're sparing banknote framework. Auto Title Loans Chicago

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home